Wednesday, June 24, 2009

discussion questions answer three

2. Do you interpret a passage differently depending on the typeface that is used? Do you take things more serious if they are written in typeface for extended reading?

The short answer is: Yes. Actually, to be honest though, the different typefaces do not affect me as much as the knowledge about what I'm reading. If I think that the reading is serious and boring topic, that is how I would treat the reading- in a serious and boring manner- and vice versa. Typefaces do matter, of course. For example, if it is written in Gothic characters, then I would probably treat it as less important than say, if it is written in Verdana (which is my favorite font, by the way). And for some reason, I'd treat Times New Roman as being more serious than Verdana. Or on a different spectrum, I'd treat Comic Sans as being used for something funny and satirical.

Going off on a tangent, I really wonder how each typeface affects the reader though (I mean, to what extent). Is it because some are more readable than others? Is it because it looks more "funny?" What defines how the reader perceives the kind of font he/she is reading?

Well, just something I had in mind.... this font-analysis thing is kind of interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment