Tuesday, June 23, 2009

stencil project!!!


First, I'll start off with explaining what I was trying to do... Orignially, I was thinking of doing "life's good as long as the leaves are green," but on the second thought, I had no idea how I was supposed to approach it- in addition, I realized that it would be so hard to try to cut out detailed parts with an exacto knife( although I used a really small one!).

So, I changed my idea to "life's all about arithmetic." The idea is, that people these days strive to add more to their possessions (add money), to lose(subtract!) body weight, divide time (to manage it better), and stop multiplying (reproduce). It was something that me and one of my closest friend liked to do- to do a series of "life is...." rants. There were so many of those we came up with/found on internet, and we eventually realized that every one of those were basically the same thing. But it just happened that there were a few of them we thought were legite, and this quote was one of them. Now, I don't talk to the friend anymore, because we had to come to different universities and because we had random arguments about nothing significant every other day. I don't think it is that relevant, but I thought I should say something about why I decided to choose this particular topic.

I thought I'd just come up with symbols that represent each of those pairs and pastel them onto the illustration board because it would be really hard to do just by cutting everything out on a gigantic paper (instead of cardboard, because I realized soon that the exacto knife I bought was a bit too small to be used on cardboards... refer to the picture above).

I was not trying to make fun of the society or trying to make a grandeur statement about life- it was just something I felt was true, and something I wanted people to know (Which is why people generally write graffitis in the first place).

I think that my design would be most suitable for somewhere in the streets where a lot of people pass by. Preferrably somewhere on the sidewalk, if possible.The reason being, that I am not really making any political or social statement- I'm just trying to make a statement about my view of life, which I believe is something everyone can relate to. It is aimed more towards average audiences so that they have something to may be think about when they are going to work, in a rush to get to their appointment, or vice versa. Somewhere like a dark alley or back street would not work, since the point of doing this was so that normal people can see. If it was something like cool graffiti that serves to provide artistic joy, then it would fit into those places, since those seem to typically be the place for those underground artists.

The "problem" that my illustration is supposed to address is that of people leading a normal, boring life. I just wanted to poke fun at the people having such busy life, so that they can think about deviating from those norm and may be entertain themselves with things other than earning for their living, losing weight, managing time, and vice versa. After all, we were not put here to live like machines- we have the right to explore the beauty of life and take advantage of them. Once in a while, I think, everyone should just put their work down and get away to France for a romantic vacation with his/her lover(s).







No comments:

Post a Comment